Thursday, September 15, 2011

I love the stir of the morning. 

The fog, in the figurative sense, has lifted from my now coffee-induced state and I am ready to devour what lies ahead.

Today IS the day.  At my husband's insistence and unwavering encouragement to "write", I claimed the day to do just that. I planned it. I worked hard to ensure it happened.  And here it is...my new beginning.

I wouldn't exactly say it was easy.  Gifted at some things, boundaries I'm not. I mean, how many times have you claimed "a new beginning"?  The start of a calendar year?  A milestone birthday?  At the close of a particularly difficult season of your life?  Me too...

There is no shortage of that which beckons our attention and to only complicate matters, I want a taste of all of it.  I don't want to miss a thing!  Some days I feel like Rapunzel on her first day out of the tower!  Layer on top of that my need to control many (uncontrollable) facets of my life (insert children's names here), my hunger for quality time, and my insatiable need to "perform" or "produce" to prove my worth, you've got all the makings for complete immobilization: 

Innumerable Options
 +
Must Ensure Pieces Work Seamlessly Together
+
Linger Authentically In All Relationships
+
Still Get It All Done (Well)
=
Rapunzel With Her Hair On Fire

Thank God for His grace, although it may come as no surprise to you that this concept of unmerited favor is one I'm having difficulty totally grasping.  You?

There are an endless number of ways I could have spent today and that many more opportunities to give in to real or perceived priorities - and I chose this.  I chose to spend my time doing something I feel God is calling me to do, despite the many oppositions and distractions.  As John Eldredge so poetically points out in "Waking the Dead", God promises life , but that life is opposed...there is a thief...you're going to have to fight for the life He's promised.  I would add, "and the life He's called you for." 

(I think I'll call John and see if he'll co-author a book with me, since I have it all figured out.)

We are all fighting the Enemy and his agenda for our lives...every second of every minute of every hour of every day...rather than protecting and honoring HIS agenda for our lives.  Do you recognize the Enemy?  He's incredibly slick.  He shows up as busyness, spreads out his own blanket at the church picnic, and yep, you guessed it, moves in and sets up shop in our scary dark place that we toss up as "insecurity" that disenables us from that "new start" we all so desperately crave.  He's that good.

But today I sit, among the frenzy of other people who, like me, crave value and importance to their days.  Today I explore His intentions for me.  Today I seek His Kingdom...intentionally.

Today, at least, I didn't let the intricate, complicated recipe of my idiosyncrasies dictate my day. Satan doesn't win today.

I heeded HIS call and I feel free.

What are you doing today?  Join me, in whatever way you sense God is leading YOU.

2 comments:

  1. Our Family Faith Weaving talked about this very topic..."Keeping the Sabbath" that He so wants us to keep as Christians. I believe you have to work through the distractions of life and get to the core. You said it beautifully dear friend! Sometimes you have to let go of the old and familiar to do His work. I pray for priorities every day. Thanks for your amazing message that made my night a night with my K! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to new beginnings ... to lingering authentically and to living into God's call. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete